Tuesday, June 24, 2008

June 24, 2008

I have been down south in Washington and Oregon doing some family visits and vacation. Last night I "attended" the regular Assembly meeting by phone. That is a bit of an odd experience. While "attending" the meeting I am also on the internet and connected to our Assembly agenda and minutes page so I have all the supporting documents. But not being there in person is so different. Yes, I still vote and my vote still counts, but it is hard to feel really a part of it all.

We took another step forward on the recycling program. We had approved a general concept last year and authorized the manager to go forward with planning. Yesterday's article in the Empire annoyed me a abit with its headline that the Mayor proposes curbside recycling. The Mayor didn't do it-- the whole Assembly approved it last year. Ah well, the main point is that it happens. When we have surveyed the citizens of Juneau in last year's Budget Survey they said (page 15) that recycling and solid waste management was close to their top priority. Despite that, there are Assembly members who do not see it as that important and just focus on what it will cost. Cost is important-- but this is also a priority for Juneau citizens in our general quality of life. We need to move forward.

No comments: