Monday, May 4, 2009

I think I’ll give the budget debate a rest- other than to note that Wednesday at our Finance Committee meeting the Assembly is to decide on our “pending” requests for financial help.

You may find it interesting to see the groups the CBJ Social Service Advisory Board has funded http://www.juneau.org/clerk/documents/SSAB_FY10_Block_Grant_Awards.pdf
And also what the Youth Activities Board has funded (see page 6 of our 4/15 agenda)
http://www.juneau.org/clerk/documents/2009-04-15_AFC_agenda-web3.pdf

It seems there will be lots of construction work this summer. DOT is putting up a light at Whittier and Egan and will close off cross traffic turns at Willoughby. A good move, I think. I have heard DOT is also planning a traffic roundabout at the Mendenhall Loop and Backloop intersection on the way to the Glacier. I get that confused with planned construction at the DeHarts intersection, but I think they are still trying to figure out the best way to design that one. I think Thane road is to get resurfaced (finally). We have City projects continuing in the Flats (around 12th St) and Radcliffe road out near the Airport. We’ll continue on the Public Works shop at 7 mile, and sewers from Industrial Blvd to Engineers Cutoff (as well as continuing work on N. Douglas. The Valley pool should get started. The Downtown Transit Center should start structural work. I think the DZ covered playground should get built, and there is ongoing remodeling work at the Airport. Eaglecrest’s mid mountain and beginners’ lifts should be completed this summer. It’s hard to keep track of all the projects going on. There are certainly more than the ones I mentioned. Information on city projects can be found on the Engineering site http://www.juneau.org/engineering/

Another issue I have been working at is to find an appropriate recreational spot for off road vehicles. The challenge is to find a place where environmental damage is controlled and where recreational noise will not interfere with others. Last year we thought we had a solution at the old North Douglas/Fish Creek gravel pit. But after very contentious hearings, the Planning Commission turned down the permit. There was another option at Echo Cove on Goldbelt land, but their Board of Directors rejected it. We recently examined land up Lemon Creek at what is called Hidden Valley (past Costco), but the combination of concerns from Secon (who owns land and stores explosives there) and objections from state Corrections (Lemon Creek facility) make that option unworkable. I talked last week with the Forest Service and they have opened a tract of land at 25 mile for use. That seems to be the only place at this point, but discussions continue.

Finally, we are all interested in hearing when the Supreme Court will rule on the Kensington tailings disposal issue. It could be any week now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan, In my humble opinion, off-road vehicles are a total nuisance and basically present a personal and environmental safety hazard.
If they weren't built in the first place people couldn't buy and use them to tear up and around in the woods and wetlands and alpine meadows and etc.
The USA is working on laws banning torture-so then next obvious one is off-road vehicles.
Obama could use our money to buy out these pesty companies too. arm

Jonathan said...

I have had some real personal conflicts on this. I do not use and do not like off road vehicles, snowmobiles or jet skis -- yet I know others do. I know I need to be a representative to all the people and not just those I agree with. Believe me, I have gone around and around with myself on this.