Saturday, April 9, 2011

Replacing ME!!

Well, I have certainly caused a lot of problems by my impending move. Sigh. You may recall that the Assembly requested applications from persons who would like to fill out my term from May 23 until the October election. Thirteen persons have submitted applications and the Assembly will consider them in executive session in our Monday night meeting (April 11).

As always, we have a number of City Boards and Commissions that need members. I encourage you to help out in one way or another. There are many positions that take a minimal amount of time. Please consider how you may participate in our government. Vacancies are listed HERE
And the application process listed HERE
The Airport, Docks and Harbors and Eaglecrest Enterprise Boards are accepting applications before April 27. We look for those who have a real interest and some knowledge of these areas. If you are interested, I encourage you to attend current meetings and learn about the issues. Other Boards require less background. We need persons to apply for the Board of Equalization – which hears appeals on Property Tax assessments. We also need a person on the Social Services Advisory Board and another on the Youth Activities Board – both of which distribute grants to Juneau organizations. Please consider some way you may help.

At our Finance Committee meeting last Wednesday the proposed Budget for FY12 was introduced.
I encourage you to browse through this and ask questions. It is important for citizens to understand how the Borough government is spending your tax dollars. We approved the Manager’s recommendation for the mill rate which will be unchanged at 10.55 or just over 1% of property value. I am pleased that the mill rate has remained stable for the past five years.

Marc Matsil, the Director of Parks and Recreation resigned last month and our new Director is Brent Fischer.

The Diamond Park Aquatic Center is now scheduled to open in June There are a number of job openings there.

Monday night we will also consider acquiring property in the floodplain out Montana Creek Road.

Happy Spring. I have seen Skunk Cabbage!!!

1 comment:

Mary Anderson said...

I am so very disappointed by how the Aquatic center opening date keeps changing. I had very much been looking forward to using it almost daily before we found out we were moving. But I thought at least I'll get to use it before I move. Now with a June opening I'll/We'll be gone. Maybe a stop at Laird Hot Springs will help quell my disappointment.
I also wish all the best to whomever takes Jonathan s place. Also as Jonathan says , there are so many committees and board that you as a Juneau citizen can serve on. I'll be vacating a seat on the CBJ Americans With Disabilities Committee (ADA). We need people on this committee and many others.