Thursday, September 25, 2008

Campaign Obsession

It is really hard to relax and try to keep perspective during this last frenzy of the Assembly campaign. I keep telling myself to remember that most people don't even know our names, let alone what the issues are. On the other hand, that is why they elect us-- to focus on issues that citizens don't have the time for.

Campaigney type stuff--- Just finished the Chamber of Commerce forum. Next week is a Wednesday 10:20 am Capital Chat debate between me and my opponent Karen Taug. I believe we will be expected to ask questions of one another. Thursday noon at ANB hall is the Tlingit Haida Candidate forum. I got a call yesterday about a JDHS forum for next Monday, but won't be able to attend. My radio spots are running on KINY. Next week I'll run them on KSUP and Taku-105 for a week. I took out some print ads in the Empire for next week and a Capital Weekly ad. This is what your campaign contributions go for. I committed to staying under $5,000 and I am at $4,400 right now. I'll probably take out one or two more Empire ads with endorser names. That will take me to my limit. Is that more than anybody wanted to know?

It's been interesting to listen to the questions we have been asked at the various forums. There is no strong theme this year. I think the one repeat question is affordable housing. We also have had a couple on stimulating the economy, a couple on childcare, and a couple on the problem of vagrancy.

We had a Committee of the Whole meeting Wednesday to finish up our review of the Comprehensive Plan and the final draft is posted at http://www.juneau.org/cddftp/documents/2008DraftCompPlanAssemblyReview09.24.pdf We will have a public hearing on the plan at our Monday 9/29 meeting. If you have ANY final comments we need to hear them ASAP. Or you can come testify Monday night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's getting exciting! Thanks for keeping us all posted.

-Marcus