Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Campaign thoughts

For the Assembly, a campaign is a very short "sprint." We file for candidacy about two months before the election, but things don't get going until about 3-4 weeks before the vote-- meaning about now. I've written lots of letters and emails to people. I have pounded in yard signs across the Borough. I've done a lot on my own in order to keep costs down. Plus I have all the flyers and signs I didn't use last time. That helps. I've had a bunch of people express their willingness to help and I sure appreciate that. Plus, my campaign manager, Joan Cahill, has been wonderful.

Anyhow- we are doing 2-3 candidate forums each week and we get to hear all the other candidates answer the same questions we are answering. There is not a whole lot of disagreement, more like a difference in emphasis. Candidate forums are challenges because you must introduce yourself and answer questions within a very limited time. Yesterday's Rotary Club gathering was especially challenging because all responses were limited to 1 minute. That is tough.

Today I went down to KINY and recorded a bunch of 30 second radio spots. Again, very tough. I wanted to try and address issues rather than just say "Vote for Me!" and that is quite a challenge. I hope I hear some feedback from folks when they hear them.

Feedback - ah yes -- I still have no idea if I am writing this only to myself. No comments have been posted, nor has anyone said anything to me about this Assembly Diary. So who knows.

Today is Constitution Day. That is something I would like to celebrate. I continue to be amazed by the genius of our founders who constructed this document that has lasted 221 years. Most people don't realize what an accomplishment that is. When I took office as an Assembly member I took an oath to uphold the constitutions of Alaska and the United States. I take that oath very seriously. Government by the people, for the people and of the people is something that doesn't happen without continual struggle. I hope you feel it is worth your time and effort to work on this with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading it. Keep up the great work with the site and the campaign!

-Marcus